A video series exploring the Old Testament prefiguring of the Theotokos (Mother of God) and the hymnody used by the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church to venerate her.
This series of videos were one of my Doctoral projects that were given “live” in my parish in 2011 with the blessings of my parish priest. The classes are recreated in the video format for your use. The Teen/Adult age group is an appropriate audience. In general the first 2 images of each video lesson were handouts for the participants, then there was a 20 minute lecture. After the lecture, the remainder of the class time was spent in discussion with the participants.
It is my hope you will find these video lessons useful and edifying.
Lesson 1: https://youtu.be/w19duBjJKUM
- Terminology used for the Virgin Mary in the Church
- What is known about the Virgin Mary through canonical scripture
- What is known about the Virgin Mary through sacred Tradition
- Feast Days in the Church dedicated to the Virgin Mary
- Why the Orthodox Church Venerates the Virgin Mary
- Canonical Scripture and hymnody that venerates the Virgin Mary
Lesson 2: https://youtu.be/jBU5TOAURFI
- The Mother of God is the culmination of the Israelite history of God’s people.
- What the Holy Fathers of the Church write about the Mother of God’s humanity.
- Some hymnody of the Church that addresses the Virgin Mary’s humanity.
Lesson 3: https://youtu.be/e9mOUERwHLg
- Old Testament Imagery used in the hymnody of the Church for the Mary, the Mother of God.
- Old Testament types of the Virgin Mary
Lesson 4: https://youtu.be/BokSJ0SsO9w
- Biblical historical perspective of God’s Covenant with His people.
- Identifying Mary, the Mother of God’s role in God’s Covenant with His people.
- The Virgin Mary’s identification with the community.
- Mary, the Mother of God, identified with the Ark and the Temple.
Lesson 5: https://youtu.be/uh7mI92AoqY
- Understanding how the Virgin Mary, Mother of God, is part of God’s Divine plan for mankind’s salvation.
Lesson 6: https://youtu.be/Ovmn8xSQCoU
- Mary, Mother of God, (Theotokos), as Intercessor – Mediator
Lesson 7: https://youtu.be/5um70td8i1M